Thursday, December 6, 2012

World Text Analysis paper

The assignment due next week focuses on my interpretation of the movie Babel, starring Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett. This is the first time I've ever seen the movie; I remember seeing the previews and thinking to myself that I'd never watch it, despite my taste for dramas. I think because they were focusing on the two main stars being in Morocco and using the terrorist angle when there is so much more happening turned me off. After watching it, I decided that I'd focus my essay on the portrayal of police in general in the movie. My interpretation is that, for the most part, the police are people to be wary of, because 2 out of the 3 departments treated the civilians with disrespect and, in the case of the Moroccan force, with severe brutality. Here's the scenes that I'm going to cite:

1. When the Moroccan police department conducts their investigation of the shooting of Susan Jones, they beat up the people they are questioning.

2. When approaching Yusef and his brother, the police threaten the young boys in a vulgar manner if they find that they were lied to.

3. How the Border Patrol spoke to Santiago, treating him with suspicion and disrespect.

4. When the Border Patrol picks up Amelia, he treated her pleas of help with indifference.

5. The only police force that was respectful was the two officers from Japan: how they approached Chieko, spoke to her in a kind, respectful manner.

6. When Chieko brings the officer up under false pretenses, he brushes off her advances yet doesn't make her feel dirty or stupid; he treats her with compassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment